Patient Tesimonial: Patrick Burke - Transplantation

"I am a ten-year old student at the F.L. Olmsted School. Just this school year, my father was part of a live liver donation. I had to be very brave during this time. I am very grateful to have a wonderful family and a very heroic dad. This is a story that changed my life.

On a beautiful August morning at my Cape house, I was on my screened-in porch. My mother came out with some news. My uncle had a very sick liver, and needed help fast. She told me that Dad wanted to do whatever he could to help our uncle, Stephen. I couldn't believe what I had heard. "What was going on?" I thought. "Will Stephen be alright?" I kept thinking.

I couldn't fall asleep at night for a long time. My dad was going to doctors and hospitals getting tested. He was seeing if he was the right match to donate some of his liver to Stephen. I hoped that he would not be a match, and somebody else would. Soon, we found out that my dad was a perfect match in late September. He would be donating sixty-five percent of his liver to his brother. I couldn't believe what was happening.

I was very scared. On October 16, 2003, my parents went off to the Lahey Clinic, where the surgery took place. I was very worried about what might happen, and will it be on time to save Stephen's life. I was really starting to miss my parents, and I wanted this to be over. I had no idea about what was happening, or what already happened for about two days. I got a phone call on October 18, 2003, and the surgery was a...success!

Although I was extremely happy about the surgery, I still had some worries. I was afraid that when my father came home, he might not be able to do the things he used to do with me, like play hockey, go to the batting cages and try to hit the really fast ones, or play catch with me. Still today, I wonder and worry about how long my father's liver will last in my uncle's body. As you can see, I still had some worries.

Luckily, the surgery went great, and my father and uncle are fine today. My father can do just as many things as before, and the same with Stephen. They are a lot closer now, and our families do many things together now. I am glad that I was brave during this time and so was my father. My dad didn't just give Stephen some of his liver; he saved his life."




Original Published Link Patient Tesimonial: Patrick Burke - Transplantation

#Alright, #F.L.OlmstedSchool, #HeroicDad., #Surgery #Transplant

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breast Cancer Survivor Uses Her Experience to Help Other Women

Having pancreatic cancer a suspicious tumor on your pancreas

Howard's Weight Loss Journey