Joe Briggs Prostate Cancer Story

When Joe Briggs, Jr. turned 50 in 2013, his wife of 24 years, Valerie, urged him to make an appointment with his primary doctor for a complete physical and a blood work-up. At the time the only health concern Joe had experienced was frequent urination, often at night. “I was healthy, active, wasn’t super overweight. I just attributed the urination issues to getting older,” he said. Blood work from the physical revealed an elevated prostate-specific antigen (PSA) which was 7.1.

“My doctor referred me to a urology group in Norristown PA, I had an initial biopsy," says Joe. Biopsy results are provided as part of a Gleason score, ranging from 2 to 10. A low score means the cells look normal with little possibility of spreading, while a higher score indicates risk of cancer. Joe's local urologist expressed urgency in recommending surgery. “My biopsy had a Gleason score of 6. My doctor advised me that I had no options other than immediate surgery, with no time for a second opinion. It was at that point that my wife advised me we would be finding someone a little better equipped to treat me. She called Fox Chase the next day, and we had all of my records transferred over within a matter of days.”

Valerie knew that Fox Chase Cancer Center focused only on cancer. “She said the entire process from the first call and working with their healthcare navigator was very pleasant,” Joe says.

Joe was referred to Alexander Kutikov, MD, a urologic oncologist at Fox Chase. “Following an evaluation, Dr. Kutikov insisted we had no reason to rush into anything. He had my initial biopsy results, and advised we wait to see if there was any change,” recalls Joe. Dr. Kutikov determined Joe would be on “active surveillance” which meant Joe would be monitored for changes.

In preparation for his second biopsy, Dr. Kutikov first obtained a multi-parametric magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) study, a highly accurate test, which helps localize aggressive lesions within the prostate that a routine biopsy can miss. Because the MRI identified an abnormality, he then employed the Uronav device to improve the prostate biopsy’s accuracy.  This cutting-edge technology, now available at Fox Chase Cancer Center, fuses images from the multi-parametric MRI with the ultrasound imaging obtained during the biopsy and allows precise targeting of the abnormalities within the prostate gland. In this manner, Dr. Kutikov was able to achieve a more precise biopsy.

“He used the images from that MRI to pinpoint exactly where my lesion was in the prostate,” Joe explains. “By targeting the biopsy, he was able to determine that the lesion had more aggressive features than he had expected, and we crossed the threshold he and I had established for remaining on active surveillance. We scheduled surgery the day we got back the biopsy results.”

In August, 2014, Joe had a robotic prostatectomy. Throughout the whole process, Joe shares Dr. Kutikov was very truthful and upfront with his explanations. “He never made a promise on what might happen. He was very careful to always give me the entire picture,” he says. In addition, Joe says Dr. Kutikov’s gentle and caring nature was evident throughout his treatment. “Dr. Kutikov has been absolutely the nicest man I’ve ever met. He was concerned with me, with my wife and with how I was dealing with my diagnosis,” Joe adds.

Just about three months since his surgery, Joe is feeling well, and has returned to work as an administrator for a healthcare company. He enjoys spending time with Valerie and their two college-age daughters. Looking back, he said he knows for sure that Fox Chase was the best place for his care. “Going to Dr. Kutikov was hands down the best decision we’ve made. I would recommend Fox Chase, and Dr. Kutikov, because I feel they are offering world-class treatment 30 minutes from my house,” Joe shares. “They offer technology such as Uronav and cutting-edge robotic treatments, performed by the brightest minds in healthcare, all done by people who care about me, and care about my wife and family.”


Original Published Link Joe Briggs Prostate Cancer Story

#Dr.Kutikov, #MRI, #Multi-Parametric, #Overweight, #ProstateCancer, #Prostatectomy, #Urology #Cancer

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breast Cancer Survivor Uses Her Experience to Help Other Women

Having pancreatic cancer a suspicious tumor on your pancreas

Howard's Weight Loss Journey