Deena Hanke- Stroke Survivor

My name is Deena Hanke and I am a stroke survivor.  I have actually survived two strokes. My first stroke was in 1998 when I was only 50 years old.  I was paralyzed on my left side, but my symptoms reversed when I was given IV heparin at Harborview Medical Center.  While I was in Harborview they discovered that I have a calcified aneurysm deep in my brain.  They believe the stroke was caused by bits of calcium breaking off and clotting with my platelets and these clots blocking off arteries in my brain.  They decided that my aneurysm is so deep in my brain that doing surgery for it would not be worth the risk.  They sent me home on aspirin antiplatelet therapy.  I was lucky enough to have no residual symptoms and the aspirin therapy prevented my having another stroke for 15 years.

In April of this year, I had another stroke.  I was paralyzed on my left side again and I was taken to Harborview Medical Center.  They think this stroke had the same cause. They said I had failed aspirin therapy and gave me a big bolus of  Plavix which is more effective antiplatelet therapy than aspirin.  I was lucky enough to have very few residual problems again and have almost completely recovered from that stroke, too.

I retired from my 26 year career as Technical Supervisor of the Molecular Hematopathology Laboratory for the University of  Washington Department of Laboratory Medicine at the end of  May 2013.  The Molecular Hematopathology Laboratory uses DNA and RNA testing to diagnose patients with leukemia and lymphomas; and follow their therapy by looking for minimal residual disease.  I was lucky enough to get in on the ground floor of molecular testing for our department and had a very interesting and fulfilling career developing and performing molecular testing for hematologic diseases.


Original Published Link Deena Hanke- Stroke Survivor

#DNA, #HematologicDiseases, #LeukemiaAndLymphomas, #RNA, #Stroke #Others

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Breast Cancer Survivor Uses Her Experience to Help Other Women

Having pancreatic cancer a suspicious tumor on your pancreas

Howard's Weight Loss Journey